Thursday, October 31, 2013

Halloween in Japan

I remember the last time I studied in Japan, five years ago, few people knew what Halloween was, and it was always a fun cultural exchange conversation topic along the lines of "do you know about this crazy holiday we have in the US?"

So, when I arrived in Japan at the end of August and I saw Halloween decorations for sale at convenience stores and department stores all over Kansai, I was a bit puzzled.  My neighbor has had cutesy ceramic jack'o'lanterns and a doll dressed up in some kind of costume in her window for almost as long as I've lived in the neighborhood.

Since when did Halloween exist in Japan?

A Japanese friend of mine explained that this was just one part of "Abenomics," the aggressive economic revival strategy of the current Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.  I guess the idea is to create more consumer goods and more demand for those consumer goods, thus stimulating the economy.

Today on campus, I saw a few students dressed up in cheap, though conspicuous costumes: a US army soldier, a wolf, and a Pikachu, plus a girl wearing less conspicuous demon horns.  The other students mostly just seemed amused by it.  I couldn't decide if I was weirded out or if I really wished I had my Princess Leia buns on this side of the world to join in on the fun.

Another friend of mine said she went to Osaka with some friends in search of Halloween parties, of which there were many, in bars, clubs, and then costumed people drifting and congregating in a park.

There was also a Halloween party on campus over lunch where you could pay $10 for all-you-can eat cakes, cookies, and other baked goods for one hour.  I think I saw a bakery advertising Halloween cakes too.  They seem to be sort of on the right track with stuffing yourself full of sugar, but this whole holiday has been decidedly lacking in candy.  There's no trick-or-treating here.

Though, funnily enough, I have not seen a single child in costume today or any time during this season.  Nor have I seen children's costumes for sale.  It seems as if Halloween in Japan is an adult (or young adult?) holiday for dressing up as if you were still a kid and partying.  It's like the only people participating in Halloween are those people that, in the US, would be considered too old for Halloween.  (Though, I'll be honestly, I will still dress up in a costume at any excuse I get, but that's just me...)

I can't say I did anything special to celebrate Halloween myself, other than just puzzle at what the day has come to mean in Japan. This is not America, so I am interested to see how the day will evolve over time, if it isn't just a fad for the year, into a uniquely Japanese take on Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment