Monday, December 30, 2013

2013: I'm Lucky Girl

photo by Nick Lindeke
As the karaoke box says, I really am a lucky girl.  2013 has brought me a lot of things to be thankful for.  Probably first among all of those things has been the unlikely chain of events that led one of my best friends from college back into my life last New Years, who, six months later, got upgraded from best friend to boyfriend.  Coulter has been one of my strongest rocks in the crazy whirlwind I call grad school life both in DC, and especially here in Japan, now that we are in the same country.

photo by Nick Lindeke
While his work has him stationed on a naval base far south of me on Kyushu, being in the same time zone and within range of weekend trips has made all the difference.  It's hard to think back on the last four years when we were out of touch when I consider the blessing he has been to me over this last year.  Coulter really brings out the best in me.

2013 was in the thick of grad school for me.  I am continually thankful that I got to study development at the School of International Service at AU.  It really is a phenomenal program that has crammed more than I thought possible into my head.  It is to the point that, here in Japan, both my peers and professors consider me the resident 'development expert.'  That is incredibly humbling to realize just how much more I would have learned if I had stayed around this year. 

During 2013 I was also formally accepted to the dual-degree master's program with Ritsumeikan here in Kyoto as well as awarded the Boren Fellowship with finances my education here and allows me to take language classes on top of my graduate studies.  Being abroad has had its ups and downs, but it has already offered me so many opportunities for networking and research for my thesis on the Japanese development sector.

I also have a lot to be thankful for in my wonderful network of friends all around the world.  My involvement with the Rebel Legion, an international Star Wars costuming club that supports charity and community events, led me to a wonderful group of friends in Maryland and again here in Japan.

photo by Jason Colflesh
In DC, I was blessed by three lovely housemates and a wonderful group of friends from the DC Intervarsity Graduate Christian Fellowship.  Through that, while I did not have time for choir, I got my music fix from blue grass and hymn music nights.  Those were probably the highlight of each month for me.


This summer, I had the wonderful opportunity to intern with World Vision in DC.  More than just the job experience and place on my resume, I made great connections, got a better picture of the development industry, found a place for my faith in my work and studies, and got to know a wonderful group of interns that I know I will keep in touch with for years to come.  At World Vision, I finally got a feel for what it is I want to do when I grow up: work on donor and institutional coordination in emergency relief.  At least, that is where I want to start.



Here in Japan, I have been blessed by being able to return to the same church community that I attended when I studied abroad near here six years ago.  Though many faces have changes, the huge heart of AICF has remained the same.  

Looking back, I really have had an amazing year.  I have so many things and so many people to be thankful for.  Here is to an even better 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment